Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Let's Eat Cake Fundraiser!

I'm SUPER excited about what's taking place next Tuesday evening! A wedding coordinator (Melissa from Masterpiece Weddings) in Gainesville is organizing a huge fundraiser for the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. The fundraiser is a wedding cake competition for both amateurs and professionals. As soon as I heard about the competition last fall, I've been planning the cake I want to make! I had planned to start working on the cake in October so I could be relaxed and have plenty of time...but life happens! I didn't get a chance to start working on it until the end of January! I've been working on the cake every spare minute I have and it's really starting to take shape (which is good, because I have less than a week left)!

The wedding cakes entered in the competition are all made of styrofoam, but each entrant has to bake sheet cakes to serve to the judges and the public for a taste test. There are 4 judges that I know of - one of which is Paige Beck from the Gainesville news station. I'm going to be taping the news all night next Tuesday in hopes to see my cake on it! Another judge that many of you may know is Kerry Vincent, from the Food Network Challenges. She knows a lot about cake decorating and organizes the most presigious wedding cake competition in the nation so it's very exciting (and nerve wracking) that she'll be there to critique my work.

The doors will open at 5pm for the public (tickets are $25 in advance and $35 at the door) and then there will be a cake auction at 6pm. The cake auction is just another opportunity to raise money and the cakes entered into the auction are totally separate from the competition. So, I have a lot of work to do this weekend! I have to make a cake for the auction, make enough sheet cakes to serve 150 people, and finish my styrofoam wedding cake! Dang, I better get busy!

I'll post pictures of my cake here as soon as I can. The judging is all anonymous so I don't want to risk getting disqualified if I post the pictures too soon! Thank you to those of you who are coming to the event to support me and to those who can't make it but are there in spirit!

1 comments:

TAL said...

Sounds like a great event. Not only because you have the ability to see/taste some great wedding cakes, but also because it's for a great cause.

I hope the event is successful and raises a lot of money! I cannot wait to see the pics of the cake you design. Good luck!

Timothy

Post a Comment